Candidate Statement - Farmhill Neighborhood
Rick Hunter is a CPA and longtime community volunteer. Rick and his wife, Naomi, moved to Redwood City 21 years ago with three young sons – then 1, 4 and 6 – when he accepted a job as tax director for a Menlo Park-based corporation. Later, he worked for eBay’s tax department and as chief financial officer for a start-up company in Woodside, CA. Currently, he has a Redwood City-based tax practice.
Rick’s community involvement started with coaching youth sports and volunteering at his sons’ schools. All three sons – Matt, Tommy and Chris – attended public schools in Redwood City and were active in Little League, running, swimming and church youth groups as they were growing up. Rick’s school volunteer work eventually led to serving as a board member and treasurer of the Redwood City Education Foundation Board (RCEF) for many years. He founded and coached the first middle school cross country team in Redwood City and later created a district-wide cross country program with the Redwood City Parks and Recreation Department, for which he won an award from the California Parks and Recreation Society. He founded and directed the OktobeRun Half-Marathon and 5K, which has raised more than $250,000 for local schools over the past 7 years. Rick has also served on the YMCA Board, the Parks and Arts Foundation Board and the Parks and Recreation Commission, and most recently served on the Planning Commission.
In 2016, Rick received the Redwood City Education Foundation’s Inspiration Award, and in 2010 he was named Volunteer of the Year by the North Star Academy Parent Club.
Rick earned a BA from the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs at Princeton University, and an MBA from UCLA. He completed the Redwood City Chamber of Commerce Leadership Class in 2014.
Statements taken from Candidate site and Redwood City Candidate page
Endorsements by current officials, for a complete list please visit here
- Ian Bain, Mayor
- Jackie Speier - Congresswoman
- Diane Howard, Vice Mayor
- Janet Borgens
- Shelly Masur - Redwood City Council Member
- Maria Diaz-Slocum, President, Redwood City School District
- Dennis McBride, Vice President, Redwood City School District
- Janet Lawson, Trustee Redwood City School District
- Alisa MacAvoy, Trustee Redwood City School District
- Hilary Paulson, Trustee Redwood City School District
- John Baker, Superintendent, Redwood City School District
- Chris Thomsen, Board President, Sequoia Union High School District
- Georgia Jack, Board Vice President, Sequoia Union High School District
- Carrie Du Bois, Trustee Sequoia Union High School District
Contributions: Total raised through 9/22/2018 - $22,513
For a full list of contributors through the first part of the year go here if you cannot see the pdf on this page